Badge is a passive item.
Effects[edit | edit source]
- Summons a police officer that follows the player, firing bullets at enemies.
- The officer can be talked to.
- The officer will die after taking too much damage.
- The officer will permanently die and increase the player's curse by 2 if he dies and the player talks to him. This increases the player's damage by 20% and removes the item from inventory.
- The officer can take indirect damage from the player's doing (such as electrified water and explosions).
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Detective Mode - If the player has 38 Special, its maximum ammo is increased, its reload time is halved, and its damage is increased by 20%. The police officer will also show the contents of nearby chests while 38 Special is held.
- Tea For Two - If the player also has Teapot, while reloading the Teapot, a small red aura will appear around the officer. Every enemy in this aura will be ignited.
- To Serve Android - If the player has Full Metal Jacket, Mass Shotgun, The Judge, Bionic Leg, Deck4rd, or Grasschopper, the police officer turns into a robot and becomes invincible.
- The officer will die when entering the door that goes to High Dragun, unless the player has the To Serve Android synergy.
- If Baby Good Mimic transforms into the officer, and dies before the officer, talking to him will softlock the game.
- If the Badge is dropped after the officer dies, the body will disappear, but the NPC icon will remain in the room. The Badge can be picked up afterwards, but it will not do anything.
- If the officer dies in Rainbow Mode, he will not respawn on subsequent floors.
- If the officer dies and the miniature Blobulord is in the room, talking to him will softlock the game.
- If the player has Snowballets, the officer's shots will very rapidly increase in size.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Talking to him:
- "Only a few weeks left on the force."
- "I'm retiring in 3 weeks... getting too old for this."
- "Have I shown you my pictures of my family?"
- "Sending my daughter off to college soon. She's a good kid."
- "Thirty years on this beat to the day. Never needed to draw my gun before."
- "You're a loose cannon, kid, but you're good police."
- "Let's do this next one by the book."
- "You're as wild as McNutty."
- "Kid... listen up. Today might have been my last day on the force, and I might have only been down here because of you...but this ain't your fault. Yeah, yeah, you let me get hit by all those bullets. Sure, you probably could've given me one of those fancy guns you've been hoarding. But the point is, this ain't your fault. -cough- Give my badge to my kids. Tell them I love them."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This item is a reference to the "last day before retirement" trope that often appears in cop dramas.
- In the Officer's dialogue there is a reference to the Gungeoneer as the cop-drama character trope of the "loose cannon." The two roles are often seen together as partners or "buddies" in movies ranging from Lethal Weapon to Seven.
- The tagline is also a reference to this trope, as the retiring officer is often characterized as more lawful than their partner.
- The shots fired by the Policeman are similar in appearance to the 38 Special's bullets.
- The quote referring to McNutty may be a reference to Jimmy McNulty, an arrogant and unpredictable character from The Wire.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- When the officer dies and the player talks to him, there's a chance of him saying one of his normal quotes instead of his death one, or simply saying nothing.
- If the officer dies right after a boss fight, and you immediately talk to him, the game will be softlocked.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The Officer's appearance with the To Serve Android synergy.