Drill is an active item.
It can be acquired in 2 ways:
- Stealing it from the shop
- Causing the shopkeeper to close his shop by either:
- Firing a gun in the shop a few times
- Failing to steal an item
- Luring the Lord of the Jammed into the shop
After it has been unlocked, it will appear as a regular item.
Effects[edit | edit source]
- If used on a locked chest, teleports the player to a large version of the chest room, where they must survive one to five waves of enemies. Surviving the enemies will unlock the chest.
- If used on a locked door, unlocks the door for free.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Picking up Drill increases the chance of finding the other Payday 2 items, Loot Bag and Clown Mask.
- The amount of enemies and waves is determined by the chest quality, usually having less enemies and waves when used on low-quality chests, and up to 5 waves for S quality chests. D tier (brown) chests will have a single wave, with 2-4 enemies. B tier (green) chests can have anywhere from 2-4 waves. They usually have at least 4-5 enemies per wave, but can occasionally spawn 6.
- When the drill is used in the Keep of the Lead Lord, there's a chance for it to spawn Bullet King's chancellor, who will chase the player even if left unharmed.
- It is possible for pickups to spawn after completing a wave, including other chests. If the player wants to keep them, they must grab them before they finish all the waves; otherwise, when the room returns to its normal size, the pickup may vanish, if the walls close over it. If it is in the center of the room it will remain.
- The drill cannot be used on any chests that spawn after clearing a wave in the special drill room.
- Using the Drill on a fused chest will extinguish the fuse. However, the chest will appear without a fuse in the enlarged room.
- The room will only return to its normal size once the player is inside the radius of the original room.
- Drill can also be used to pick the locks on the trapdoor to Oubliette but it cannot be used for the trapdoor that leads to the Resourceful Rat's Lair.
- When the Drill is used during a Challenge Mode run, each new wave receives its own room modifier(s).
- In the Switch release, completing the waves of enemies while using the drill may cause a game crash.
- The drill appears to, on occasion, fail to render a complete arena, leaving some areas black or untextured; however, the collision remains intact.
- The drill can be used on Brother Albern's chest. The lock will fall off of it, but it still can't be opened without speaking to him.
- Chests opened by the drill are rendered indestructible.
- If the player attempts to use Trusty Lockpicks on a chest and it fails, the Drill cannot be used on the chest.
- The drill cannot be used on the lock that requires the Gnawed Key.
- The drill, if used on a door with a sentient lock, will not spawn any enemies, and will instead instantly vanquish the living lock.
- If a chest spawns in the Resourceful Rat's Lair, the drill cannot be used. However, it can be used to unlock the special rat chests after the boss fight.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This item is a reference to PAYDAY 2, and was added in a cross-promotional event.
- Sawgeant is also a reference to a PAYDAY 2 skill called Drill Sawgeant.
- The "followed by expletives" in its description is due to the fact that PAYDAY 2 drills are notoriously prone to breaking and must be fixed by heisters on a regular basis during a bank robbery, and the lines that characters speak when fixing drills usually contain expletives.
- Prior to the Advanced Gungeons & Draguns Update, enemies spawned by the drill could drop Coins.