Behavior[edit | edit source]
Gatling Gull chases the player, and has several attacks:
- Rapidly fires bullets in a random spread towards the player.
- Rapidly fires bullets in a fixed side-to-side spread towards the player.
- Pauses to charge up a large single bullet that explodes into many smaller bullets on impact.
- Pauses to charge up two wide spreads of bullets.
- Jumps off screen and lands near the player.
- Jumps off screen and lands at a random location, after which he will stand still and fire missiles. The locations that the missiles land are indicated by red crosshairs on the ground.
- If the player gets too close, he will swing his gun as a melee attack.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
The key to defeating Gatling Gull is to keep your distance and sidestep. At close range, it's hard to avoid his wide spread of bullets, but at longer range, there is plenty of room to maneuver in between them. If you're close, focus on backing off and only start circling once you've gained some distance. Make sure he doesn't trap you in a corner, since there's no way of getting out without taking a hit or using a blank. Try to resist the temptation to dodge roll; because of the wide spread, you're quite likely to dodge into another bullet.
When he is firing his large bullet that explodes into smaller bullets, take note of where it's going and either get behind cover or try to gain extra distance to safely dodge bullets from two directions at once.
When he is firing the two wide spreads of bullets, try dodge rolling sideways instead of towards the bullets. The timing is a bit harder, but dodge rolling towards Gatling Gull twice will often leave you too close to avoid his follow-up attack.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Gatling Gull has 5 different boss arenas, containing:
- 4 pillars in the corners of the room
- 18 small pillars spread evenly across the room
- 2 long vertical pits
- 2 chandeliers and 8 tables
- Many bushes and 4 explosive barrels
- The Gatling Gull cannot hit the Decoy and the Explosive Decoy when using the rapidly fires bullets in a random spread towards the player attack.
- The player can use the Ticket to spawn a friendly Gatling Gull.
Video[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This boss is a reference to Vulcan Raven from the Metal Gear series.
- Both are large, muscular, and wield a Vulcan Cannon.
- The Gatling Gull's death mimics that of Vulcan Raven, with both being consumed by ravens after their demise.
- Gatling Gull is the only boss to have vastly different boss arenas.
- If Gatling Gull is Jammed, then upon defeating him, his body will dissipate like any other Jammed enemy and a swarm of birds will not appear.
- In the EtG Pre-Alpha, each boss had a quote. Gatling Gull's was "How Do You Like These Guns".
- Also in the Pre-Alpha, the first chamber was "Underground Passage" and Gatling Gull was the only boss.