|Sell Creep Price:||54|
|Unlock Method:||Defeat the High Dragun.|
|Grants a second chance upon death.
A piece of a legendary Gungeoneer's soul. Though they may have failed in their quest, an encouraging aura emanates from the spirit.
Gun Soul is a passive item.
Effects[edit | edit source]
- Adds a heart container.
- Upon death, the player respawns at the start of the current floor with one heart container, retaining all of their items and guns. The floor layout will remain the same, but all enemies previously killed will respawn. If the player reaches the location where they died and interacts with their soul, they will return to normal.
Synergies[edit | edit source]
- Crestfallen Soul - If the player also has Crestfaller, dodge roll speed is increased by 20% and Crestfaller deals 50% more damage if the player dies and has not yet retrieved their soul.
- Praise the Gun - If the player has Old Knight's Flask, a bonfire spawns in every shop and elevator to the next floor. If the player dies, they will respawn at the last bonfire they activated instead of at the start of the floor. Additionally, dodge roll recovery time is reduced.
- \o/ - If the player also has Sunlight Javelin, when Sunlight Javelin kills an enemy, it will spawn a circular zone that ignites all enemies within it.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The death effect can be repeated if the player dies again after returning to normal.
- If the player dies before returning to normal, the run ends.
- Respawned enemies will not drop .
- The heart containers returned to the player upon returning to the location they died will be empty.
- In co-op, if the player holding Gun Soul dies, the surviving player can revive their dead teammate at a chest as per usual. The revived player will spawn with three full heart containers, a blank, and their starting gun, and, upon reaching the location where they died, will return to normal and receive all of their items and guns.
- This process may be repeated as many times as there are chests or undefeated bosses.
- This item does function on the Robot despite giving heart containers to other characters, and will instead give the player two armor.
- Prior to the Supply Drop Update, the player would lose all of their guns and items upon respawning and Gun Soul was a item.
- If the player dies while in the small room using the Drill, the chest will not be there when returning to the same room.
- If the player has Clone and dies on the way to their body, they will restart the game with 1 heart. Further heart pickups will not increase this.
- Returning to their body will not remedy this, using a save button and resuming the run later will.
- If the player has Cigarettes, it is theoretically possible to gain infinite Coolness. It is recommended to do so in the starting room of any floor or the Shop in the case the player has the Praise the Gun synergy to facilitate the process.
- If the player has Pig and dies on the way to their body, they will be revived by the pig, but regain color without regaining the hearts lost from the Gun Soul, and you will no longer be able to return to your body.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This item is a reference to Dark Souls.
- This item's effect is a direct reference to the retrieval mechanic from Dark Souls, which allows players to reclaim their souls (the experience point and currency of Dark Souls) lost after dying by reaching their place of death once again without dying again.
- The line "YOU DEFEATED" is a reference to a mistranslation in the original Dark Souls, wherein after defeating a boss, the game displayed this in bold letters across the screen. It was later patched to "VICTORY ACHIEVED."
- The "Praise the Gun" synergy is a reference to Solaire of Astora from Dark Souls and his well-known catchphrase, "Praise the Sun!"
- The "Crestfallen Soul" synergy is a reference to the Crestfallen Warrior from Dark Souls.
- The "\o/" synergy is a reference to the Praise the Sun gesture that Solaire of Astora performs in "Dark Souls."