Gunsling King and Manservantes
The Gunsling King and Manservantes are NPCs that show up in the Gungeon and The Breach after being saved from a cell in the Gungeon Proper. When encountered in the Gungeon, they will make wagers with the player. If the next room is successfully completed under their conditions, they will return the player's money and give a gun or item as a reward. If the next room is cleared before speaking to him, then his challenge counts as failed.
There are four challenge types:
- Complete the room without taking damage.
- Complete the room without dodge rolling. You cannot teleport with Bloodied Scarf.
- Complete the room only using the given gun. The given gun can either be the Klobbe, Pea Shooter, Derringer, Nail Gun or Casey.
- Complete the room in Challenge Mode (only available after Daisuke has been returned to the Breach).
Completing 10 of the Gunsling King's challenges unlocks the Owl after speaking to him in the Breach.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If the Gunsling King gives the player Casey, upon completing the challenge, the curse given by Casey is not taken away.
- The Gunsling King can challenge the player to complete a room with no enemies in it. He will not mark the room on the map, and will immediately act as if the player completed the challenge.
- The player cannot drop guns given by the Gunsling King.
- In coop, if the Gunsling King gives you a gun to complete the room, if the other player uses any gun, the challenge will count as failed.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Manservantes's name is portmanteau of Manservant and Cervantes, a reference to Miguel de Cervantes, a Spanish Romanticist author.
- The Gunsling King's appearance is likely based on the king commonly depicted in playing cards.
- The Gunsling King may be a reference to Stephen King's "The Ledge," adapted to film in "Cat's Eye". Cressner, a casino owner and crime lord with a similar attitude and appearance to the Gunsling King, is constantly taking bets against characters living through a dangerous ordeal. The Cat Throne may or may not also be a part of this reference.