Mimics have a chance to replace Chests or Boss loot pedestals, and will attack the player if they attempt to use them. Upon death, the chest variants can drop items, guns or pickups, while the pedestals drop what they were originally carrying.
If you destroy a chest, there is a chance that it will drop the Mimic gun. This gun deactivated all other guns, and turns bullets into jammed bullets.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
Brown, Blue and Green Mimics[edit | edit source]
When a Mimic is provoked, either by attacking it or attempting to open it, it has a beginning attack where it shoots a Jammed bullet at the player which splits into 8 normal bullets in all directions either upon impacting a wall or after travelling a fixed distance. After this first attack, the Mimic will bring out two pistols and attack the player by rapidly firing bursts of 3 bullets while erratically following the player.
Red and Black Mimics[edit | edit source]
These larger Mimics show much greater threat than their smaller variants in battle. They will flood the room with waves of bullet rings, with four waves per attack. During the first to third waves, they fire three rings of bullets in quick succession, and during the fourth wave, they only shoot out one ring. While firing these rings of bullets, they will also shoot straight lines of bullets in random directions, overlapping the rings.
It is therefore advised to immediately leave the confined space of the chest room if a Red or Black Mimic is provoked and bring the battle to a room where there is more space and cover.
Pedestal Mimic[edit | edit source]
When activated, they will shoot bullet in a spiral pattern while occasionally shooting bullets that resemble items or guns at the player that explode into bursts of bullets. Once they are killed, they will drop whatever was on the pedestal.
Wall Mimic[edit | edit source]
Wall Mimics can randomly appear throughout the Gungeon hiding in walls, and will become active if the player shoots them or gets too close. They chase the player and shoots bullets at them, and do not drop anything upon death.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Mimics can only be encountered after at least three hours of total playtime.
- Chests have a base chance of 2.25% to turn into a mimic. This chance increases by 2.1% for each point of curse the player has.
- Mimics can be distinguished from actual chests as they will occasionally open their mouths slightly. Also, shooting a chest will provoke a Mimic into battle.
- Attacking a Mimic before it attacks the player will unlock the Book of Chest Anatomy.
- Mimics that have fuses will not be triggered if the player lets the fuse run out, but no item will be dropped.
- Dog will bark if it senses a mimic.
- Super Space Turtle will not attack a Mimic without you first interacting with the Mimic.
- Mimics cannot be transmogrified by magic weapons.
- In Frifle and the Grey Mauser's Mimic quest, Door Lord counts as a Mimic.
- Mimics are not fooled by the Decoy.
- Like other enemies, Mimics can be knocked into pits for a quick kill; however, this is inadvisable as any items the Mimic was carrying will be permanently lost.
- Brown chests that appear to be unlocked will always be Mimics if encountered in a chest room.
- Triggering a locked Mimic by attempting to open it will use a key.
- Guns dropped by Mimics have a chance to turn into a Mimic gun, which turns enemy bullets jammed, can't be swapped, and are reverted when you use an ammo container.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- If there are multiple mimics in the same room, such as in a triple chest Secret Room, they will not do their idle animation.
- Multiple mimics in a secret room may result in getting two of the same item by killing them. It is possible for both to drop identical loot. Different items have different effects when doubled.
- If a wall mimic spawns at the same time you enter a undiscovered room, your game will crash.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Mimic is a reference to the classic enemy of the same name present in many RPG's.
See also[edit | edit source]