Tarnishers are bag-like enemies that sink into the floor and chase the player. If it successfully catches the player, it will swallow the player and shortly after spit them back out, dealing damage, partially draining the current gun's ammo, and reducing the magazine size of all of the player's guns until they pick up ammo. Tarnishers will be momentarily immune to bullets when they begin their chase.
Once they stop chasing, they will remain stationary for a moment before chasing again.
Clearing the room after getting caught by a Tarnisher at least once will unlock the Hungry Bullets.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- When under the player, a Tarnisher will flash blue. This is the ideal moment to dodge roll to avoid being enveloped.
- It is possible to outrun a Tarnisher if the player has enough speed upgrades, but under normal circumstances the player will have to either keep a large distance while constantly moving away from it or dodge roll over a pit where the Tarnisher will foolishly follow into its demise. The player can also hug walls and make frequent turns to gain distance. This works because the Tarnisher is larger than the player and cannot turn as sharply.
- If the player has Shield of the Maiden active when swallowed, the Tarnisher will not damage the player but instead swallow the item. The item is then dropped by the Tarnisher when killed.
- The Tarnisher can be killed by explosions, such as those produced by a Nitra, when it is chasing the player.
- The Tarnisher can be killed by environmental damage or companions while the player is swallowed to prevent them from doing damage and lowering magazine size.
- The Tarnisher will damage the player if they are immune to contact damage.
- If a Tarnisher dies while spitting the player out, the game will crash.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Tarnisher is based on the Like Like from the Legend of Zelda series. This is also referenced in its Ammonomicon description.
- The Tarnisher is also a reference to the Rust Monster from Dungeons and Dragons, a creature which devours ferrous metals (paralleled to the Tarnisher's consumption of ammo).