For the gun, see Bullet.
How to Unlock[edit | edit source]
Enter the Gungeon[edit | edit source]
Red-Caped Bullet Kin will rarely appear in random rooms after at least one Past has been defeated (not including the Cultist). These special Bullet Kin wander aimlessly and do not attack - they have guns, but do not use them. If the player stays in a room alone with the special Bullet Kin and does not kill it, it will disappear after a short time. After this occurs five times, The Bullet will be unlocked. Multiple Red-Caped Bullet Kin can be found in a single run, and they are more likely to appear in later chambers.
Exit the Gungeon[edit | edit source]
In Exit the Gungeon, the Bullet is unlocked upon completing the game once with any character.
Story[edit | edit source]
Past Kill[edit | edit source]
If the Bullet That Can Kill The Past is used on The Bullet, they will be brought back to the Gungeon Proper in an unspecified time in the past. The Bullet retrieves Blasphemy from a dying elder bullet. The Bullet travels forward in the Gungeon and faces two Chain Gunners, followed by Agunim and finally Cannon. After successfully defeating the two and thrusting the wooden Blasphemy into Cannon's head, the true Blasphemy is created in a burst of fire and light. Following this is a final scene where the Bullet is seen resting on a wood stump in some meadow-like area while various Gungeon enemies are seen cheerfully playing about.
Defeating the Bullet's past will unlock the Chicken Flute.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
The Bullet is unique in the sense that he turns the Gungeon's rules upside down; his starter "gun", Blasphemy, completely locks him in melee combat and cleaves bullets with every slice, while his passive item Live Ammo grants the user complete immunity to contact damage while making dodge rolls an alternative attack. The Bullet is fully capable of going through the Gungeon with just his starting weapon, playing the game as a "hack-and slash" and getting close to enemies to slash them with impunity due to its upsides; many challenging bosses can become rather trivial because of this. Coupled with Live Ammo, the Bullet is one of the characters who have the easiest times earning a Master Round regardless of the run's chest contents or drops, making him an excellent choice for shortcut quests or unlocking the Super Hot Watch.
The Bullet's drawbacks are as notable as his perks: although Blasphemy clears bullets with every swing, it will only fire a piercing sword projectile when the Bullet has full health. Once the Bullet loses even one heart piece, he loses his only ranged attack and becomes limited to point-blank combat. Although clearing rooms in this manner is still possible due to Blasphemy's bullet-clearing effect, its damage is cut in half while its range becomes pitiful. As a result, players will have to top off the Bullet's health as often as possible, or simply hoard armor to take advantage of Blasphemy's significant upsides. Additionally, Blasphemy's damage output drops the more floors the player completes (due to enemies and bosses gaining increased health), making the weapon more time-consuming and less effective as the run progresses.
While Blasphemy is an impressive weapon, the Bullet's passive upsides do not offer much in comparison to the other Gungeoneers; he does not gain any form of universal gun improvement or ways to increase his ability to gain loot. However, Live Ammo makes contact-focused enemies completely harmless throughout a run, with Spent, cube enemies like the Mountain Cube, and most versions of Blobulon essentially becoming Rubber Kin. This also allows shotgun-type weapons to be used at close range without careless contact damage.
Overall, the Bullet offers a non-traditional way to play through the Gungeon. Mastery of Blasphemy can easily allow the player to snowball through a run by collecting armor and keeping health maxed, and beat bullet-spam bosses more easily compared to other Gungeoneers. However, his upsides are largely based around his starter gun, making him less suited for players that focus on the Gungeon's wide array of firearms.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Nicknames that NPCs refer to the Bullet as include:
- Little guy
- The Bullet's past and alternate costume are references to The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
- The alternate costume is a reference to how Link turns into a rabbit if he goes into the Dark World without the Moon Pearl. The fact that a mirror is used to switch to this costume may also reference that Rabbit Link can only use one item in the Dark World, that being the Mirror.
- The Bullet's past is the only past which has more than one boss.
- The Bullet cannot access the Hall of Knowledge because it is boarded off.
- When the Bullet dodge-rolls, the movement is similar to when a real bullet "tumbles".
- The Bullet is the only character that storywise doesn't have a need to kill his past. Since he already has the true Blasphemy at the start of the game, it can be inferred that he has originally killed Cannon in the past, unless it was awakened by some other means.
- The Bullet is immune to Blobulons, Spents, Tazies, and other contact damage-utilizing enemies due to Live Ammo.
- The Cultist will also get a wooden Blasphemy in The Bullet's past.
- In the final scene, a Coaler is holding the Really Special Lute (a gun added in A Farewell To Arms), despite The Bullet's past being added in Supply Drop.
- The Bullet appears as an alternate skin for the playable Bullet Kin in the 2D platform brawler game Indie Pogo.
- The Bullet's alternate costume causes them to hop instead of their normal walk animation.
- The Bullet is the only character with more than one alternate skin.
- The Shotgun Kin alternate skin was present in the files since the Advanced Gungeons & Draguns Update but was only implemented when the physical edition was released.
- During character selection, selecting a character will cause their portrait to rotate, showing a bullet icon on the other side. The Bullet instead has a generic human silhouette on the other side of its portrait.
- If The Bullet’s past is completed with his Shotgun Kin Alternate Skin they will unlock both his Alternate Rabbit Skin and his Alternate Weapon Skin.