The Gunslinger is a Gungeoneer added in the A Farewell to Arms Update. He costs 7 to play, and starts with the Slinger and the Lich's Eye Bullets. He is heavily implied to be the Lich before he became the master of the Gungeon.
How to Unlock[edit | edit source]
Story[edit | edit source]
The Gunslinger is conscious of the Gungeon's situation and knows what happened there after he completed it. He realizes his goal is to revert all of this, by killing his future self, the Lich, stopping him from becoming Gungeon Master and stopping the Great Bullet from falling.
Past Kill[edit | edit source]
Traveling to the past takes you to Bullet Hell. Unlike other pasts, you keep your health and all the items you have gathered during the run, as if going to Bullet Hell normally. Everything is identical to normal Bullet Hell until the Lich boss fight.
Instead of fighting a normal Lich that has three phases, you fight 2 Liches simultaneously, similar to the Glitch Chest Boss. One Lich is normal, and the other one has the same visual effect as The Paradox. The Paradox Lich fires Jammed bullets and has increased health. Luckily, the Liches use only their first phase, and the player will win once both are defeated. The final scene shows the Gungeon as it looked before the Bullet crashed into it, implying that time was rewritten and the Gungeon was never created.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Dying with Clone during the Gunslinger's past will return him to the top floor.
- Performing a Quick Restart during the unlocking run of the Gunslinger will return you to the first floor as The Paradox.
- Dying with Clone during the unlocking run of the Gunslinger will still return him as himself.
- Defeating The Gunslinger's past will unlock a golden skull trophy in the top right room at the Breach beside Bowler.
- Defeating The Gunslinger's past will unlock the Sixth Chamber, as the boss is considered Jammed.
- When talking to the Blacksmith to acquire the Bullet That Can Kill The Past, she remarks that she's never been happier to make one of them. Talking to her again has her ponder where everyone will be after this is all over (i.e. instead of the Gungeon, since if the Gunslinger succeeds, the Gungeon will have never existed), and wishes him good luck.
- After killing his Past, the regular path to Bullet Hell will be opened, and the Gunslinger can fight all three phases of the Lich by entering in this way.
- When fighting phase 3 of the Resourceful Rat, the Gunslinger will hip-fire revolvers from his left or right side instead of throwing punches. Similarly, his special move consists of him pistol-whipping the Rat and appearing to fire a bullet at his chin in place of an uppercut.
- Prior to v2.1.6, unlike other gungeoneers, The Gunslinger would go to his past regardless of whether or not you have the Bullet That Can Kill The Past.
- If the player uses a Shortcut while unlocking The Gunslinger, they will spawn as The Gunslinger on the floor that they selected for the Shortcut.
- The Hall of Knowledge can't be accessed with The Gunslinger.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- The Lich's Eye Bullets allow the player to have any synergy that a gun could have without needing the counterpart. For example, the player can have the Cactus and get the Cactus Flower synergy without needing Broccoli or Orange.
- The Lich's Eye Bullets allow the player to be wild with any item or weapon that has Synergies, so the player doesn't need to worry about getting strong items for later portions of the run, and can use money for armor, keys, or ammo.
- Many weak guns are now much more powerful thanks to his passive, e.g. Cactus and Flare Gun, since these guns have many significant synergies. As a result, the strength of many guns is different for the Gunslinger compared to other Gungeoneers.
- It is especially beneficial for the Gunslinger to go to secret floors for more opportunities to pick up powerful weapons.
- The Shop many times sells low quality guns that usually are not worth purchasing for other gungeoneers. However, the Gunslinger's passive can sometimes make them excellent options for a cheap price.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Gunslinger was created on the side as art by Joe of Dodge Roll while the other developers worked on the main game.
- The Gunslinger first appeared in the game files in the Advanced Gungeons & Draguns Update, but was not playable until the A Farewell to Arms update.
- The Gunslinger's appearance resembles that of Clint Eastwood in A Fistful of Dollars. Considering how the Lich resembles Lee Van Cleef's character in the movie The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, who serves as the antagonist of the same narrative universe, further connections between the Lich and the Gunslinger being the same, one being bad and the other good, can be made.
- The time count shown at the end of the Gunslinger's unlocking run is the time of both runs combined
- The poncho he wears seems to be alive, since it has a face on it which blinks during his idle animation. This, however, does not change any of the gameplay.
- According to the description of Slinger, he became known as the Gunslinger because he literally slings guns.
- His injured portrait during the Punchout fight with Resourceful Rat shows his eyes to be Bullets, suggesting he has been using bullets as prosthetic eyes even before he became the Lich.
- Unlike the other Gungeoneers, the back of his character icon (seen when selecting a character in the Breach) depicts a bullet resembling the Lich's skull.
- A special rendition of the Lich's battle theme is played during the fight with the Paradox Liches, making it the second soundtrack in the game to feature lyrics next to the main Enter the Gungeon theme.
- The Gungeon's appearance on the final screen of the Gunslinger's past seems to closely resemble that of a sword, possibly referencing one of Blockner's quotes, "The other dungeons me and Manny used to loot never had any guns. It was always sharp metal."
- This also potentially implies that the Gungeon used to possess an affinity towards melee weapons, rather than to guns.
- As the Gunslinger is technically the Lich before the great bullet struck and made him the Lich, killing his past should be referred to as killing his future/destiny. This also means that the Bullet That Can Kill The Past can also kill the future.