Behavior[edit | edit source]
Both twins have some similar attacks:
- Charges at the player. The charge will be stopped if they take damage during it.
- Fires six bullets in quick succession.
- Hops in place, sending bullets in all directions.
- Whistles or snaps, summoning two Bullet Kin.
Each twin also has a unique attack:
- Smiley will rapidly fire a stream of bullets at the player.
- Shades will fire three spreads of three bullets at the player.
When one of the twins dies, the other will go into rage mode, retaining their unique attack and gaining new attack patterns:
- Hops, firing 2 waves of bullets in all directions.
- Fires three spreads of bullets, with the last spread being wider and more densely packed.
If the last twin has below 50% health when the other is killed, the twin will automatically heal to 50% health. It is possible to defeat both of them at the same time to avoid this completely.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Defeating the Trigger Twins is based on using one of two strategies: attempting to kill both at once to avoid the final phase, or focusing on them one at a time.
- If a twin charges, simply shoot them while moving away from them, and always attempt to maintain distance.
- When a twin fires six bullets in quick succession, simply strafe around them.
- If both twins do it at the same time, do the same, but dodge roll if trapped between the twins’ shots.
- If you’ve kept your distance, their ‘hop in place’ attack should be easy to avoid.
- If they summon Bullet Kin, target those first. They can easily force you into a corner in combination with the twins’ attacks.
- For Shades’s unique attack, you should either strafe around or dodge roll through the attacks.
- For Smiley’s unique attack, simply strafe and dodge roll back where you came from if the bullets start to catch up to you.
Video[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The twins' guns (Smiley's Revolver and Shades's Revolver) are obtainable from the Gungeon.
- Due to the shape of Shades' glasses it is likely these two are referencing Kamina and Simon from Gainax's (also, a likely reference) popular anime Gurren Lagann. Simon isn't famous for his smile, but Kamina's shades are iconic in the anime community.
- Each twin will have their namesake removed from them upon defeat.
- Shades' trademark shades will be knocked off his face.
- Smiley's teeth will be strewn across the floor upon being defeated, ruining his smile.
- The Trigger Twins may be a reference to Connor and Murphy MacManus from the movie The Boondock Saints.
- It is possible to kill both Twins using guns such as Camera, BSG, and Blasphemy's slice without triggering one's rage mode, as they both take the same amount of damage and have the same health, which prevents one from attempting to get revenge.
- Similar to the player, they both cannot shoot directly beneath themselves. This means that standing at the base of either brother can make the player immune to some of their attacks.