Winchester is an NPC who occasionally appears in the Gungeon. The player can pay Winchester to play his minigame, where the player gets four shots to break four targets. Depending on how well the player does, Winchester gives a chest as a reward.
While initially cold towards the player when met at the breach, Winchester seemingly warms up more with each trickshot challenge aced.
Acing three of his minigames unlocks the Seven-Leaf Clover.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Ancient Hero's Bandana has no effect on the ammo of the Prize Pistol (the gun he gives you for the minigame).
- The reward chest is brown or blue if the player hits one shot, blue or green if they hit two, green or red if they hit three, and red or black if they hit all four.
- There is no penalty for cheating his minigame with the Grappling Hook, Bloodied Scarf, Wax Wings, Ring of Ethereal Form, Partially-Eaten Cheese, or Jetpack to get closer to the targets.
- However, shooting at least once with a gun that isn't the Prize Pistol will be seen as cheating. Thus, the player will get no chest regardless of the number of targets hit.
- If the player switches to another gun, and then back to the Prize Pistol, even if by accident, the player will only have one shot left, probably to discourage gun paths.
- The effects of all gun-modifying items including Hip Holster, Backup Gun, Scattershot, Flak Bullets, Remote Bullets, Fat Bullets, Heavy Bullets, Rocket-Powered Bullets, Ghost Bullets, Bouncy Bullets, Angry Bullets, Stout Bullets, Helix Bullets, and Eyepatch will work during the game.
- For some reason, Backup Gun seems to cause the forward shot of the Prize Pistol to be inaccurate. It's recommended to drop the item in the room before speaking to Winchester to start the game, as once he has been paid, items cannot be dropped until the game is finished.
- Helix Bullets will cause bullets to veer off-course; like Backup Gun, it is advised to drop the item before speaking to Winchester.
- Gunboots shots can destroy targets without counting against the four available shots.
- If Duct Tape is used with the Prize Pistol, it will have as many shots as there is ammo in the guns combined.
- If playing in co-op, dead players can block moving bricks using their body in the minigame, stopping them.
- If the player leaves the room they will lose the Prize Pistol and no chest will spawn.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Entering a minigame room:
- "Step right up! Step right up!"
- "Think your aim is true? Play my game!"
- "Have a shot, [player nickname]!"
Accepting his challenge:
- "Aim true, [player nickname]."
- "Aim true, shooter."
- "Good luck!"
- "Ok straight shooter, good luck!"
- "There's one born every minute."
Completing his game:
- No targets: "Well, maybe next time. No refunds."
- 1-2 targets: "Wow, that was almost cool. You can have this."
- 3 targets: "Hey, not bad. Take this."
- 4 targets: "Wow! You got them all! Claim your prize, deadeye!"
In the Breach: (Available after acing his game once)
- "Well if it isn't deadeye."
- "A true gambler, you are. Wagered your life for another shot?"
- "A shot at what, though? What could be worth it? Ha!"
- "Still alive then..."
- "Been a long time since I've seen a shooter like you."
- "Maybe you'll actually do it. Kill the past..."
- "I wonder what brought you here."
- "Probably best to just let it go..."
- "But what do I know, anyway?"
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Winchester's name is a reference to the Winchester Repeating Arms Company.
- Winchester is also a pun on the NPC's role, allowing the player to win a chest.
- If the player steals something from a shop, then enters Winchester's room, instead of saying the character's nickname, he will call them "thief". This is likely a reference to the Town Tool Shopkeeper from "The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening".
- Winchester has a special track for rooms he is in, but it is not part of the official soundtrack.
- One of Winchester's dialogue, "There's one born every minute", is a likely reference to the well-known phrase "There's a sucker born every minute".