Blasphemy is The Bullet's starting weapon. It can be swung to damage enemies and destroy bullets. When at full health, swinging the sword will send out a piercing rainbow sword projectile. "Reloading" the weapon will destroy incoming bullets in a small range and can push enemies around.
Blasphemy has a dull brown variant only available in The Bullet's past. It behaves similarly, but cannot destroy bullets, will not send out projectiles, and cannot push back enemies and destroy bullets by “reloading” or double tapping reload.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Blasphemy is the only infinite ammo starting weapon that can be acquired by other characters.
- Blasphemy is the only weapon that does not show a magazine size.
- Blasphemy cannot be dropped by The Bullet.
- If Blasphemy is swung in any shop, it still counts as a shot and angers Bello.
- Defeating The Bullet's past with its alternate skin will unlock a skin for this weapon.
Tricks[edit | edit source]
- Blasphemy’s forward recoil can be used to nudge dodge rolls slightly to the side, allowing more directional precision.
- The hitbox of Blasphemy's swing extends slightly behind the player, allowing it to hit an enemy that is very closely behind the player by swinging forward.
- The reload for Blasphemy only destroys bullets at the very start of the animation, even if the weapon is still up.
- Double tapping reload with full health will trigger a longer reload with a reload bar, which will push away nearby enemies and destroy nearby bullets for a longer duration. This can be done once per swing.
- Running into bullets while "reloading" will not destroy bullets.
- Blasphemy can shoot its beam through thin walls by swinging while standing directly next to a wall and facing it. However, this only works with very narrow vertical walls.
- If you swing and then immediately dodge roll, the swing will move forward with you, allowing you to slice through thicker walls of bullets or reach a farther away enemy.
- If you spin your mouse cursor around your character quickly right after swinging, your swing will hit everything near you.
- This allows you to hit many enemies at once or destroy bullets behind you and in front of you at the same time.
- Blasphemy has a hidden magazine size of six while the player is at full health. After six swings, Blasphemy will not continue to attack automatically while the fire button is held down, until it is "reloaded".
- This hidden magazine size of 6 is affected by Drum Clip and other magazine size modifiers.
- A “guard flash” that hits nearly all enemies on screen regardless of distance or obstacles can be performed by swinging in the opposite direction of the enemies, then instantly double-tap “reloading” and quickly turning to face the enemies.
- This makes Blasphemy essentially a more powerful Camera with slightly lower firerate, as the Camera only does 10 damage while Blasphemy does 14.
- The guard flash also gains the benefits of the double-tap reload, pushing back enemies and destroying nearby bullets.
- Guard flash can be performed with a normal reload, but it is very precise and difficult to do correctly.
- In versions prior to v2.1.4, while using the carrot skin for Blasphemy, every sword swipe to the left functions as a guard flash without needing to perform one.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
- Blasphemy's piercing projectile effect is not triggered when playing as The Robot, as he lacks heart containers.
- Copy Blasphemies produced by the Friend to Gun and Bullet synergy will still fire rainbow swords regardless of the player’s health, but will not perform slices.
- With Key Witness, Blasphemy will always fire AKEY-47 shots at full health along with the normal laser.
- The Cormorant transformation will disable Blasphemy's double tap reload because it nullifies reload times. Also, Cormorant does not automatically reload Blasphemy's hidden 6 round magazine upon manually firing.
- Any damage boosts affect both the slice and the beam.
- Fire rate increases do not change the swing speed of Blasphemy or the frequency at which the beams are fired.
- Bumbullets can spawn bees whether or not the player is at full health.
- Prior to the Advanced Gungeons & Draguns Update, if “reloaded" immediately after a swing ends, Blasphemy could instantly swing again.
- Bullet modifiers (e.g. Bouncy Bullets, Backup Gun) don't affect the sword's slice. They only affect the rainbow sword beams.
- Alpha Bullets can only activate on the first beam after a double-tap reload, and Omega Bullets can only activate on the sixth beam after a double-tap reload.
- Hip Holster works with Blasphemy's double-tap reload.
- Ring of Triggers will fire the sword beam in all directions even if the player is not at full health.
- Cog of Battle works with Blasphemy. If the player gets the active reload from Cog of Battle once, they will have a permanent damage buff on Blasphemy.
- If the player is at 1/2 heart from High Stress in Challenge Mode but still has full health, Blasphemy will still shoot sword beams.
- Blasphemy will trigger Thermal Clips in Challenge Mode, but not if swung more than six times.
- With Crisis Stone, its sound effect will play after swinging 6 times at full health, but reloading will not grant invulnerability.
- Blasphemy's slice can damage the shield created by Betrayer's Shield.
Enemy and Boss Tips[edit | edit source]
- The melee attack of Blasphemy is able to hit Cannonbalrog and High Priest even when they disappear; however while this will not reduce Cannonbalrog below 1 health, it will kill High Priest.
- Blasphemy excels in defeating enemies that use bullet chains or stationary bullets, like the Kill Pillars or the Revolvenant.
- Killithid’s bullet portals can be destroyed with Blasphemy.
- Executioners’ bullet chains can be destroyed to ensure they do not hinder you.
- Cardinals’ homing bullets can be destroyed so that they are less of an annoyance.
- Gunjurers can be hit mid-teleport with Blasphemy.
- It is useful to hit Shotgun Kin again during their exploding death animation to destroy their death bullets.
- Creeches’ bouncing bullets can all be destroyed by slicing the Creech as it is about to launch its attack.
- Shotgrubs’ bullets can be destroyed so they do not split.
- Professionals’ bullets can be destroyed so they do not split.
- Misfire Beast's whips cannot be destroyed with Blasphemy unless they are being fired.
- Skuskets’ bullet lines and homing skulls can be destroyed with Blasphemy to render them harmless.
- Gigis’ bullet eggs can be destroyed to prevent them from “hatching” into clouds of bullets.
- The blank-like effect created by the Bombshee does not destroy slices.
- Any enemy that prepares bullets before firing them, like Bookllets, can have them easily destroyed by Blasphemy before they can launch.
- Wizbangs’ projections can be destroyed with Blasphemy.
- Lore Gunjurers’ bullet familiars can be destroyed with Blasphemy to negate all Lore Gunjurer’s power.
- It is safe to destroy Gunzookie or Gunzockie bubbles with Blasphemy’s slice, as this will destroy the bubble and the bullet within.
- Chain Gunners’ chain can be destroyed with Blasphemy, but it will return after a full rotation.
- Revolvenants’ arms can be destroyed with Blasphemy to stop them from attacking for a while.
- Gunreapers’ homing bullets can be destroyed with Blasphemy to make them less of an annoyance.
- Phaser Spiders’ web shots can all be destroyed with one slice if sliced at the base as they are fired.
- Shelletons’ laser attack can be canceled by hitting them with Blasphemy mid-attack.
- Fuselier’s lines of fire bullets and large cannonball bullet can be destroyed with Blasphemy.
- Blockner’s shields can be destroyed to give more dodging room to the player.
- The Beholster’s Beadie spawns through a projectile thrown by the Beholster. This projectile can be destroyed with Blasphemy to prevent the Beadie from spawning.
- Hitting the Beholster as it does its laser attack will cancel the attack, as the slice hits the base of the laser (which is recognized as a bullet by the game) and thereby destroys it.
- Blasphemy can be used to destroy Mine Flayer’s mines as he is throwing them.
- Treadnaught’s special attacks can be destroyed with Blasphemy to render them ineffective.
- Attacks that are lines or walls of bullets like High Dragun's phase 2 attack are made easier with Blasphemy.
- Most attacks that attempt to restrict dodging area can be negated with Blasphemy.
- The High Dragun's RPG rocket can be destroyed with Blasphemy, and if you are standing in front of it, you will not be hit by the bullets as they only go outward in a forward-facing semicircle.
- The explosion from the rocket cannot hurt you.
- The Advanced Dragun's grenades can also be destroyed with Blasphemy.
- The knives the Dragun throws can be destroyed mid-throw with one slice.
- Resourceful Rat’s mousetraps can be destroyed as he throws them as long as they are hit before they land.
- Resourceful Rat’s cheese summoning attack can be halved by destroying the full cheese once it has all reached him.
- Resourceful Rat’s crosshair attack can be negated by destroying the giant bullet as it lands.
- Resourceful Rat's lasers can be negated by slicing the base of the lasers.
- Door Lord's laser attack can be stopped by slicing the base of the laser.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Unused: Chickensword - If the player has Chicken Flute, it causes an unknown effect. Removed because it contains a starting weapon.
- The ability of the sword being able to send a projectile of a sword at full health is a reference to the classic Master Sword from the game The Legend of Zelda. The brown coloration from The Bullet's past may be referring to the wooden sword, the first sword in the original Legend of Zelda.
- Unlike other melee guns such as the Huntsman and the Fightsabre, this one doesn't grant curse, likely due to being a starting weapon.
- Contrary to some rumors, Blasphemy does not give curse when picked up by characters other than The Bullet.
- Prior to the Supply Drop Update, the sword's swing could reveal secret rooms.
- The name and description stems from the Gungeon rejecting melee weapons.
- The Bullet’s Super attack during the Resourceful Rat’s third phase is them using Blasphemy.